Return to Compassionate Funeral Care Website

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Richard Schermerhorn


Richard Schermerhorn Jr., age 48, passed away on Saturday, August 29, 2015 surrounded by his loving family.

He was born on May 16, 1967 in Elmira, NY to Richard Schermerhorn Sr. and Cindy Schermerhorn.

Rick graduated from Saratoga Springs High School Class of 1985.

Rick worked for Tyler Technologies in Latham, New York as an IT Supervisor, where he looked forward to spending most of his days with his extended work family.

Rick especially enjoyed spending time with his family. Some of his favorite activities were camping, spending time in the Adirondacks, fishing and kayaking. He was also very active and had a passion for playing hockey and refereeing hockey.  Rick’s true passion was photography.

He was also an avid cyclist. Until a previous bicycle accident, he had participated in several Tour de Cure benefit rides where he raised several thousand dollars for the American Diabetes Association.     

Rick is survived by his loving wife Colleen, who had a fun filled life together, daughter; Madison Schermerhorn, Son; Morgan Schermerhorn, mother; Cindy Schermerhorn, brother; Jeff Schermerhorn and Tama Schermerhorn and their children Bryan and Dylan. Sister; Alycin and John McCumber and their children Katie and Cody. Sister-in-Law; Andrea and Gari Calvert and their children Delaney, Dayton, and Donovan. In-laws; Karyn and Jim McKernon.

He is preceded in death by his father; Richard Schermerhorn Sr.

A funeral service will be held at 7pm on Thursday, September 3, 2015 at Compassionate Funeral Care, 402 Maple Ave. (Rte. 9 and/or Marion Ave.), Saratoga Springs, NY 12866.  Calling hours will be held from 4 – 6:45 pm prior to the service. 

In lieu of flowers, please make donations to the American Heart Association or the American Diabetes Association.

If you wish to express your online condolences or view the Obituary, please visit our website at www.compassionatefuneralcare.com


6 comments:

  1. Colleen,
    Sorry to hear of Ricks passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this difficult time. In June when I ride in Tour de Cure, I will ride for Rick.


    Susan Sitcer

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to the Schermerhorn family. Rick was easy going, authentic and down to earth, and we all loved working with him at Tyler Technologies. He will be greatly missed. Your family remains in my thoughts as you find your way through such a difficult loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gino and Kelly DiCarloSeptember 1, 2015 at 1:11 PM

    Colleen and family,

    We are so sorry for your loss!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!

    Gino and Kelly DiCarlo



    ReplyDelete
  4. To Rick's entire family,
    I extend my deepest condolences for the loss of such a kind, caring soul. While it had been many years since we'd worked together at Travelers, Rick & I quite unexpectedly reconnected one rainy night on Geyser Road as my dog had been struck by a car. Rick had stopped to see if he could help prior to me arriving on the scene. As the story goes, when he heard the police say my name & that I was on my way, Rick waited for me, gave me a shoulder to cry on, and stayed with my dog & I until we could get her help. I can't tell you how much that meant to me and everything it said about his character. In the days following, Rick kept in touch to be sure I was okay & we'd catch up on Facebook or around town thereafter. I'll just never forget the way it seemed he was sent to me that night, so late, so rainy, so very sad for me when I otherwise would've been alone.
    Rick was a great example of what being a good 'human' really is all about.
    My thoughts & prayers go out to you all

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Rick's family,
    I am heartbroken for you. I remember Rick fondly. In high school we sang in choraliers together. Rick was a kind, sweet soul, and a good guy. May he rest in peace, and in time, may you find comfort in your loving memories of him.
    With love, and deep sympathy,
    Laurie Eisenbrown Bischof

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen and family,

    We are sorry for your loss!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!

    Imran and family

    ReplyDelete